Chicken is one of the most favoured ingredients for simple dinner recipes. There are a variety of chicken recipes found in different states of India. It had been observed that in most of the occasions, chicken is prepared in different states in different ways but with similar ingredients.
Being adjacent to coasts, the Konkan and the Bengali style of cooking has quite a few similarities. Starting with the spices used to temper a food while being cooked o the dry roasting of spices prior to cooking, there are many similarities – the only difference is the use of coconut oil. Instead of coconut oil, Bengalis prefer mustard oil, refined oil or ghee. In this article, we present the traditional Mangalorean (Konkan Coast) Chicken Sukka recipe or Kori Sukka in Bengali Style.
Chicken Sukka is a pretty fast and easy to prepare, making it one of the easy chicken recipes of India. Undoubtedly, it is an extremely popular preparation down south, specially in Karnataka. Our fellow Bengalis, who have settled in different parts of India or other countries, have the affinity to try out the local as well as simple dinner recipes popularly prepared in those areas, and if they like the taste, they end up cooking them at home. As said, we are born foodies!
Recommended Read: Crab Meat Delicacy
Simple Dinner Recipe – Ingredients you need for Chicken Sukka
Ingredients For Marination
- Chicken Curry Cut – 500gm
- Turmeric – ½ Spoon
- Salt – ½ Spoon
- Cumin Powder – ½ Spoon
- Coriander Powder – ½ Spoon
- Garam Masala – ½ Spoon
- Lemon – ½ piece
Ingredients For Cooking
- Whole Jeera or Cumin Seeds – 1½ Spoon
- Whole Coriander Seeds – 1 ½ Spoon
- Methi (Fenugreek) Seeds – ½ Spoon
- Whole Black Peppercorns – 1 Spoon
- Cinnamon – 1 ½ inch stick
- Cardamom – 4
- Cloves – 4-5
- Whole Red Chillies – 2-4 (according to taste)
- Grated coconut – ½ cup
- Oil – 1 spoon
- Ghee – ½ Spoon
- Chopped ginger and garlic – 2 tbsp
- Green Chillies – 4 Nos. (Can use more or less depending upon the preferred taste)
- Chopped Onion/Shallots – 2 ½ cups
- Tomatoes – 2
- Salt – To taste
Simple Dinner Recipe – How to prepare Chicken Sukka
- At first, marinate the chicken for 30 minutes with the ingredients mentioned in the marination list.
- Dry roast the whole spices, i.e., the cumin seeds, coriander seeds, fenugreek seeds, red chillies (we have used dried Kashmiri red chillies instead of Byadgi Chillies), green cardamoms, black peppercorns, cinnamon stick, and cloves until the roasted mixture starts emitting out a beautiful fragrance.
- Cool the mixture down and grind them smoothly in a mixer.
- Dry roast the grated coconut. (Traditionally, fresh grated coconut is used, but we did a deviation here to suit the Bengali taste buds. Dry roasting coconut enhances its taste as well as increases its shelf life.)
- Mix the dry roasted coconut with the dry roasted ground spices and keep aside.
- Heat the refined oil and ghee in a wok.
- Add half tsp of whole cumin seeds in the heated oil.
- When the cumin seeds start spluttering, add chopped onions or shallots.
- Add chopped garlic and ginger. Add a bit of salt.
- Mix well.
- Add chopped tomatoes when the masala starts to get translucent.
- When the masala starts separating oil, add the marinated chicken. Stir well and mix the masala with the marinated chicken.
- Cover and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the dry roasted spices and grated coconut. Mix well.
- Cover and cook till the chicken pieces turn tender.
- Add freshly chopped coriander leaves and put off the flame.
P.S: We have omitted adding tamarind here and added lemon instead in the marinade.
So, that’s sure to be one of your simple dinner recipes you would like to prepare in a jiffy. Enjoy Chicken Sukka with Bengali Basanti Pulao, steamed white rice, roti or luchi. The choice is yours. Bon Appetit!
For more videos YouTube channel.